MSN Lifestyle posted "Break Up With Your Mascara, Because We Just Found These Top-Notch Eyelash Serums" and features Visha Skincare founder, Dr. Purvisha Patel's expert commentary on eyelash care and how to maintain naturally longer, stronger lashes.
Long, luscious eyelashes: We all want them, and only a few of us were genetically blessed to effortlessly have them. Though many of us could (and should) feel good about their lashes in their naturally shorter form, there's nothing wrong with boosting their look with a swipe of mascara or some false lashes.
But, if you truly want naturally longer, stronger lashes, then swapping the mascara tube for an eyelash serum sounds like the best move. According to Purvisha Patel, board-certified dermatologist and founder of Visha Skincare, eyelash serums are a great way to help strengthen brittle lashes to make them look and feel their best.
"Eyelash serums work best on those with short, weak lashes," Patel says. However, she notes that there are quite a few options out there for you to choose from.
"Latisse is the only FDA-approved prescription treatment for hypotrichosis," she says. "The active ingredient is a prostaglandin called bimatoprost. It lengthens the growth cycle of eyelashes leading to longer, darker, and fuller lashes. Over the counter serums contain ingredients such as biotin, a B vitamin that helps lashes grow longer and thicker and stimulates the growth of additional eyelash follicles. Serums have lipids to condition the lashes as well. Some over the counter eyelash serums also have prostaglandin derivatives that work similar to the Rx serum."
OK, that was pretty science-y, so putting it a little more simply: If you have more severe issues with eyelash hair loss, you’re going to want to see your doctor about prescription treatments — and if you’re looking to lightly pump up the volume, an over-the-counter option will do just the trick. But before you go DIY-ing your own lash serum, Patel notes that there are a few things you should stay away from.
“Avoid essential oils, as they can cause a contact dermatitis and harm the eye if it goes inside,” says Patel. “Also, avoid edible ingredients such as coconut oil or olive oil, as they can help grow bacteria, increasing the chance of sties and eye infections.”
So, now that you have the basic facts on eyelash serums, check out more info on our favorites below:
- Expert’s Choice: RevitaLash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner
- Safe for Eyelash Extensions: Grande Cosmetics GrandeLASH MD Lash Enhancing Serum
- Amazon Favorite: Pronexa Hairgenics Lavish Lash
- The CBD Treatment: Milk Makeup KUSH Growhouse Lash + Brow Serum
- The J-Beauty Favorite: Shiseido Full Lash and Brow Serum
- Best Drugstore Pick: Vichy LiftActiv Serum 10 Eyes & Lashes
- Vegan Formula: LASHFOOD Phyto-Medic Eyelash Enhancer
- Best Luxury Pick: LANCER Skincare Lash Serum Intense
- 2-in-1 Formula: HydroPeptide Lash Longer Fuller Lusher Eye Lash
- The Nourishing Mascara: bareMinerals Strength & Length Serum-Infused Mascara
- Best Budget Buy: No7 Lash Impact Lash Serum